Monday, May 2, 2011

Do you zentangle?

Have you ever heard about zentangle before? I hadn't before I heard an interview on a podcast I subscribe to Mark Lipinski's Creative Mojo (which my husband can't believe I listen to, but I love it because of his sense of fun & humour).

They were talking about zentangle, and how it could be done by anyone, all ages, all abilities, with just a piece of paper and a black pen, so when I got back home I had to google it to see what they were talking about.

Basically zentangle is described as an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. The whole point of the zentangle is to not know what its going to look like until you're finished, and there's also not supposed to be an up or a down, it can be viewed from any angle and look right.

It becomes easier if you see some examples.
Zentangle as a grid of different patterns
With this one you draw a squiggle on the page and then fill in the various bits of the squiggle with whatever patterns take your fancy
Another grid style
Some beautiful examples...

Basically its just doodling isn't it?!

We found a really good site full of inspiration and tips on getting started and how to do the basic patterns at http://tanglepatterns.com/tag/zentangle

To get started they suggest that you start with a small piece of paper, and my six your old daughter and I chose a grid of 9 squares and started zentangling.



Then we tried some squiggles.


Then we got totally carried away. Here is a small sample of our zentangles! It's strangely absorbing and filled a couple of hours over the bank holiday weekend!

After we'd finished zentangling, we took advantage of the windy sunny day and went kite flying!

Perfect day for it!

2 comments:

  1. That's a new one on me, never hear do it before. Looks like you had fun trying it out.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fun. I'm now itching to get a ruler and pen out and try it. Not sure where they would draw the line(no pun intended) between this and doodling. Confining my doodles in a square would be different!

    ReplyDelete