Monday, September 5, 2011

My Creative Space

Hello Everyone!

I don't know about you but for me September always feels almost like the start of a new year, a fresh school term, new uniforms ...

new shoes (always my favourite thing about going back to school!)...


... a big spring clean of the house following the holidays (it took 6 hours to restore normality!)...

and I always make plans and goals to achieve in the coming months, and my ticklist for christmas.

The last week of the holidays was a particularly busy one for me as I was busy making bunting for two christenings, I've just worked out I made 338 flags in total! One christening was for a girl, and one for a boy, so there was lots of lovely pink and blue fabrics whizzing through the machine. Would you like to see?

Beautiful Melly & Me monkey fabric in the bunting to co-ordinate with the table decorations and colour theme.
Matching Appliqued bunting specially made for the guest of honour!
Co-ordinating blue polka dot and gingham bunting (from the Robin Red Bunting Hire range).
In situ!

And for the girl, pretty Pink polka dot and gingham bunting (also RRBH)!

So with the "big clean" and "mammoth iron" completed at the weekend, and the twins back at school, today was marked as being a "me" day! With it being a bit grey outside, I decided to get my craft room in order so I could start making things for upcoming craft fairs and things in an ordered clutter free zone. (It is a grey day here so I apologise for the poor lighting in the photographs..)

My room is located up the stairs...

at the top of the stairs are the shelves where I store my fabrics,

(some of!) my buttons and felt balls,

labelled tins (zips, embroidery threads, button making bits and bobs)


(all freshly labelled this morning - I went out and bought a glue gun this weekend, I'd been meaning to get one for ages, when clearing through the clutter I found I already had one that I hadn't used for years! I definitely need to stay more organised - more labelling required!)

and my collection of Ladybird books and PGtips cards.

Over to my workstation, nice and clear at the moment. See what I mean about the weather?

This is one of the most useful things I have ever made, a pin cushion and place to put your clippings and threads. I made it on a brilliant Treasure Trove workshop at Hope & Elvis a couple of weeks ago. No excuse now for threads all over the floor - a nightmare to get up with a vacumn.


Next to my desk on one side my books, threads, felts and files, spare sewing machine and a huge box of lavender on the floor.


And on the other side of my desk..

my beloved sewing machine (can't say how much I love my machine!), bits and bobs in my Ikea drawers that I decoupaged with Mod Podge, some of my bias bindings, piles of fabrics in the cubby holes and then the scrap fabric baskets on my cutting table. (I always bang my head when I'm working on this table!)

Behind the desk
Magazines, ribbons, more buttons and the wicker basket and ck bags on top are full of yarn for knitting and crochet projects.

Hanging off the cupboard door is my Dead Robin. I made him last year, he stood up for a while on his perch but then one day mysteriously took ill and refused to perk up. I don't know I've got used to him being like that now!
Lastly my running & tri medals hanging off the banister which I'm very proud of, but sadly due to various running injuries I reluctantly accepting I have to hang my the trainers in favour of my yoga mat nowadays.

There it is. It's a compact space, full to bursting with all my crafty bits, and I love it.

As last week involved a lot of sewing I'm planning a bit of buttony jewellery/brooch making for a change this afternoon.


Hope you all your back to schools went well xx

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post... your work space is lovely- soooo organised! I wouldn't dare show mine at the moment!! I'm intrigued that you used to run, I've just entered my first 10k race (Clumber Park), I've been running for 18 months now but have only just got brave enough to enter a race! I also do yoga (ashtanga) and LOVE it, it's a perfect compliment to the running I think! Kathryn xx

    ReplyDelete